Title: Respiratory Therapist
FTE: 0.9 FTE (36 hours per week)
Schedule: Variable days/nights, 6:00AM - 6:00PM
Holiday Rotation: 1-2 holidays per year
Weekend Rotation: Every 4th weekend
On Call Requirements: None
Responsible for performing patient age-specific assessments designed to gather data relevant to the patient's individual respiratory care needs, developing a plan of care, implementing the plan, providing treatment and diagnostic services, organizing care and evaluating the effectiveness of treatments/care provided.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assess, communicate with other disciplines, and coordinate care plan with physician for patients with respiratory deficiencies.
- Draw arterial blood gases, using knowledge of acid-base balance and appropriate therapy based from blood gas result.
- Provide patient therapies in a competent and timely manner, including ventilator care, aerosol therapy, bronchial hygiene therapy, hyperinflation therapy, drawing arterial blood samples including samples from arterial lines, Oxygen therapies and oximeter monitoring, Non-invasive ventilation, obtaining EtCO2 and monitoring and chest tube assessment, set-up and maintenance.
- Administer appropriate oxygen therapy using various delivery devices.
- Provide patient education on a wide variety of respiratory-related topics, including smoking cessation and pulmonary disease management.
- Perform pulmonary function testing.
- Assist in the pulmonary rehabilitation program.
- Develop new services and community outreach programs as opportunities arise.
- Attend child births when requested, providing neonatal life support when needed.
- Respond to all Code Blue codes throughout Hospital, managing patient's airway and initiating life support.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with coworkers, physicians, patients and patients' family members.
- Administer correct doses of medication, being aware of any possible side effects.
- Maintain accurate, detailed charting and diligent charging of daily department services.
- Respond when "on call" to all hospital or physician calls.
- Maintain accurate charting and billing records.
- Maintain all equipment in clean and working order, including department computer systems.
- Participate in continuing education through in-services and other programs.
- Treat all patients equally, with compassion and without regard to medical condition, social status, or race.
- Protect patients' rights.
- Required: Graduate from a school with a course of instruction in respiratory care approved by the American Medical Association commission on accreditation of Allied Health Education programs. Certification by National Board for Respiratory Care.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Respiratory Therapy or related Health Science
Licenses and Registrations:
- Required: None
- Preferred: 1-3 years of respiratory therapy experience
- Required: State of Wisconsin license as a Respiratory Care Practitioner
- Preferred: None
- Required: Basic Life Support (BLS) within 3 months of hire, Advanced Cardiac Life Support within 6 months of hire, Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) within 1 year of hire, and Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT)
- Preferred: Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance
- Free parking at facility