Title: Education Coordinator
FTE: 1.0 FTE (40 hours/week)
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Holiday Rotation: None
Weekend Rotation: None
On Call Requirements: None
Under the direction of the Vice President – Human Resources, this position consults with all department management to assess, plan, develop and implement education activities related to competency programs, department and organization-specific education goals and orientation activities.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop staff to be able to deliver quality care thru orientation, skill, competency development and testing. Provides training for orientation, initial, ongoing and yearly competency assessments and in- services.
- Perform assessments and surveys designed to gather data for employee learning needs from directors, employees, physicians, committees, incident reports, new equipment and procedures.
- Plan, design, evaluate, and provide formal and informal educational activities and programs for employees.
- Collaborate with department management and staff in the analysis, development, implementation, testing and documentation of staff competencies.
- Develop and provide ongoing feedback to directors, preceptors and clinical staff with the goal of improving critical thinking and technical skills.
- Develop and implement educational activities including, but not limited to, instructor led courses, self-study, computer-assisted, or job aids consistent with objectives.
- Promote generation and dissemination of new knowledge through evidence-based care to guide clinical practice and improve patient care.
- Facilitate training for staff on appropriate uses of equipment, supplies and resources in the delivery of patient care. Use of vendor representatives may be used.
- Occasionally provide direct patient care, including invasive procedures such as inserting I.V.'s.
- Work collaboratively with educational institutions (including high schools, technical colleges and universities) to promote appropriate coordinated learning experiences for students and to facilitate staff involvement in the student’s learning process.
- Facilitate all students/residents experiences at SPH. Responsible for acquiring and tracking the applicable paperwork needed for these experiences and assures paperwork is completed prior to the student/resident being on-site.
- Coordinate SPH’s job shadow/role observation program.
- Coordinate and deliver upon request for learning and teaching opportunities at the unit level and/or group learning.
- Explore and report on the impact of educational programs on clinical staff, physicians, clinics, hospice care, and other groups.
- Coordinate and conduct orientation program for newly-hired clinical employees in accordance with accreditation standards. Evaluate program and recommend modifications to program as appropriate. Maintain appropriate documentation.
- Coordinate BLS, ACLS, NRP, PEARS, PALS programs for employees and providers. Maintain status as a BLS instructor.
- Assist with preparation for accreditation survey to include mandatory education and competencies.
- Enhance self-development by maintaining current knowledge in health care and education by participating in in-services and other educational opportunities.
- Manage equipment used for educational in-services.
- Serve as an active member and/or chairperson on work groups and/or hospital committees as deemed appropriate (e.g., Code Blue Committee, Nursing Council, Diabetes Advisory Board, etc.)
- Leads and facilitates the Education Council.
- Participate in various hospital-sponsored programs (e.g., Project SEARCH, etc.) as requested.
- Utilize and maintain accurate educational records through the use of HealthStream software.
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing for employees hired after May 1, 2022
- Preferred: Masters’ Degree in Nursing or Education from an accredited healthcare education program. Formal education related to teaching and/or adult education and/or organizational development.
Licenses and Registrations:
- Required: None
- Preferred: 1-2 years experience in clinical education
- Required: State of Wisconsin license as a Registered Nurse
- Preferred: None
- Required: BLS certification within 3 months of hire. Certification as a BLS Instructor within 3 months of hire.
- Preferred: Certification in Healthcare Education or Nursing Professional Development.
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance
- Free parking at facility